Planning and listed building consent has been submitted to redevelop Mount St Mary’s Church located on Church Street in Richmond Hill, Leeds into 175 apartments.
The church closed in 1989 and is becoming increasing derelict and in need of restoration. The church is mostly hidden by Mount St Mary’s Catholic High School.
The proposals comprises of the demolition of the nave and aisles of the church and will be replaced with a modern contemporary extension that is sympathetic to the retained and restored chancel, transept areas and altars. The retained Grade ll* Listed element of the church was built between 1866 and 1867 designed by Edmund Welby Pugin. The church and its proposed extension will contain 62 apartments.
The presbytery will be demolished and replaced with a 5 storey apartment block with a further 113 apartments. There will be a landscaped courtyard linking the two buildings with some retained relic featured from the demolished aisle structure.
This application follows on from a previously approved application for the redevelopment of Mount St Mary’s Church (Grade ll* listed) and it’s associated Presbytery (Grade ll listed).