12 Clarendon Road includes the remodelling and change of use of Burley House. Burley House is a grade II listed building located on Clarendon Road on the fringe of Leeds City Centre. The four storey former villa which was originally designed by local architect George Corson, was constructed in 1868. It holds local significance due to its vertical fenestration arrangement, playful roof-scape and semi-circular full-height bay on arcaded basement storey. The building occupies a corner plot in one of Leeds' key conservation areas and has an excellent outlook towards Woodhouse Square. The building was converted into office use in the 1920s with the former gardens turned into a parking area. The listed building will be returned to a residential use with the creation of 16 student apartments ranging from studios to two bedroom apartments. The design has been carefully considered with input from Leeds City Council’s conservation department to respect the building’s history, layout and key architectural features whilst securing its future with the creation of contemporary and well-designed apartments.
The project also includes the demolition of the former garage building which had previously been converted for ancillary office use, and the erection of a contemporary two storey new build containing 9 apartments. The design was a significant challenge due to the constrained nature of the site and being in the curtilage of a listed building. The building was therefore designed with a single aspect layout, to maximise views over Woodhouse Square. The building’s massing includes a setback first floor and floating eaves profile. The materiality and irregular vertical fenestration arrangement give an architectural nod to the listed building. The setting of the proposed development will be enhanced by returning the car park to an attractive landscaped garden area.