This project will involve the conversion and extension of a redundant fire station to provide a new community centre. This includes:
- Office accommodation for GIPSIL incorporating consultation and counselling rooms.
- Teaching kitchen and instruction area. Together with Ministry of Food, Zest will run cookery classes for local residents.
- A shop selling re purposed goods and refurbished furniture etc.
- Former Young Fire-Fighters’ annexe remodelled by Stage 2 – a local charity offering acting and performance-based activities to children and young adults.
- A café with full catering kitchen run as part of the shop and as a commercial/ community venture for building users and visitors.
- A small Enterprise Hub where hot-desking space will be rented out to enterprising individuals/ organisations needing flexible workspace.
- Lettable office space for future prospective users.
- Meeting rooms, consultation rooms and ancillary spaces.
- Environmental improvements to external areas to provide a landscaped entrance, a café garden as well as parking for staff, visitors and building users.
The original 1930’s building will be retained with minor additions to enhance its fire-station ‘feel’. All tiling will be repaired and retained, and new timber secondary doors and shutters installed to the engine bays.